Monday, March 30, 2015

How to Extend the Life of your Water Heaters



I had one of those weeks. Years ago we were roped in to buying a  reverse osmosis unit that requires the filters to be changed ever year. The company we bought it from calls us annually to come out to change them for us for a premium price. However, I find my self playing the succor and letting them come. With that expensive call, they do a complimentary check on our water softener as well. This time, he noticed in our furnace room that our unit that heats the water for our radiant heat had leaked and had some corrosion. It was done and about to explode, he told me.

So, I decided to call my trusted local plumber to fix the job. Not my highly inflated bilker soft water company who took an hour to figure out it wasn't the typical water heater like my other two. I am glad I did. I couldn't have met a more knowledgeable man. While he was here, in passing he told me a crucial tip. He instructed me on how to extend the life of my water heaters by as much as FIVE years. At $1700 a piece for my two water heaters, I was all ears.

He told me to get a small water hose and hook it up to the bottom of my water heater spigot once a year. Then open it up and drain about five gallons out of it or until my water runs clear. He claims the calcium sediment settles in the bottom of the tank and causes problems for the unit making it not so efficient -- adding layers creeping up to where the tank won't hold as much water.




I was all over that. I don't know if this is something to brag about, but it didn't take me long to scour my back yard up next to the canal where they recently excavated, I found a garden hose that the workers carelessly tore up. Yeah, I need to clean up around here. Sure enough, it was the perfect size; In tact. So, I took it downstairs with my bucket and did what he instructed. As expected, my water seemed a bit cloudy. I emptied the water and had a little Tim Allen from Home Improvement moment.




I was so elated that I just wanted to share with you so you can avoid the surprising flooding of the basement carpet like we experienced a few years ago when our water heater decided it was done. 

Hopefully you'll find some enjoyment in this sort of science experiment.






No comments:

Post a Comment