Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Deniece's Pumpkin Roll


This recipe comes from my late friend, Deniece. She lived a few houses away from me when my daughter was four. On several occasions my daughter would wander away from my house. Almost every time, I would find my daughter's bike parked by the curb of Deniece's house. Once when I went to bring her back home, I approached the sidewalk to find my daughter leaned up with one leg on the side of Deniece's house just chatting away telling her all the trivial things a four year-old has to live through. Every year until she passed away my daughter felt certain Deniece needed a school picture of herself. And my sweet neighbor would post it prominently on her refrigerator. She taught me many lessons over the years of being her neighbor. She graciously battled breast cancer for years but never complained --- always made time for other people, and never wanted the attention brought on her.

So, you can see this pumpkin roll is sweet in many ways. Sweet in memories of a sweet lady who set time out of her day to listen to my daughter. To care for her and make her feel special. She taught me a lot and still teaches me.

Pumpkin Roll

3 eggs
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. pumpkin pie filling
1 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt

Beat eggs for 3 minutes. Add sugar, pumpkin and lemon juice. Stir in dry ingredients and mix well. Place a sheet of wax paper covering a jelly roll pan. Spread the batter over the waxed paper. Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 375-degree oven.
Using an old, clean dish towel, sprinkle powdered sugar generously on top of it. After the roll is cooled, gently turn it over onto the dish towel. Including the towel, roll up the cake starting at the narrow end and chill.

Filling:
1 c. powdered sugar
6 oz. cream cheese
4 T softened butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. finely chopped nuts (I use walnuts)

Cream filling together. After the cake has chilled for a bit, unroll it very carefully and fill with filling. Roll back up and sprinkle with more powdered sugar if desired. Chill and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Pumpkin Roll looks fantastic! Your recipe is awesome, I have pinned it. We really enjoy you sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! Thanks for linking up with us for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week.

    ReplyDelete