Friday, October 14, 2016

Black Bean Brownies! Really?

I am a fan of Joy Bauer. A few weeks ago, she posted a recipe for black-bean brownies touting the health benefits of using the beans as opposed to the oil. Fewer calories and more fiber than the traditional after school snack, I thought I'd give these a try.


Her recipe calls for a brownie mix, egg and a can of beans. I didn't happen to have any brownie mixes on hand, so I improvised and came up with my own recipe. My children ate them up without complaint. Once I told them what was in them, they did start to say they didn't like them as much. Ha ha. They were just a little more moist and fudgy than what they are used to -- that's not a negative, is it?

Black Bean Brownies

1 (15 oz.) can of black beans
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Open can of beans and rinse them. Don't empty the beans, but refill the can along with the beans with water. Dump the water and beans in a blender and mix up. Add the bean puree and the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix up with a spatula. Once completely blended add to a lightly greased 8x8 pan. Bake for 25 minutes in a 350-degree oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment